Win free stuff just by searching the web! SO EASY!

Search & Win

Monday, November 10, 2008

Pacifier Free!



Yep, that's right, no more pacifier for my baby! It's been over a week now, but I didn't want to post anything sooner because I was afraid if I said it (or wrote it) outloud that I would jinx us, but it is definitely official! I would have preferred to get rid of it when he was about 18 months old, but that's right when we moved and I wanted him to be able to have something consistent that would comfort him amidst all the chaos, but we also wanted to be sure that he was rid of it for good by the time the baby came so that that wouldn't be one more thing I'd have to deal with. So now was actually the perfect time and he was ready (which I think is really important), so it worked out great. I actually think it was harder for me than it was for Tyler. I guess I sort of see it like another phase or milestone that he has passed which just serves to remind me; he's growing up. Tear.

He's only had it for naps and bedtime for about the last 2 months and for the last month we didn't even give it to him at bedtime, we'd just hide it in his crib and let him have it if he found it (which he always managed to do). I realized that, for Tyler, it wouldn't work to slowly take it away-like try not to give it to him, but if he really cried go ahead and let him have it-because that wouldn't do the trick. It had to be all or nothing so we picked a date and decided that as of that day he would no longer have a pacifier. Cold Turkey. On Oct. 26 we decided that November 1st would be the day (no reason in particular, just decided that would be a good day to make the move and it gave me a week to prepare...emotionally, we didn't tell Tyler or anything). So on Nov. 1st I laid him down for his nap, he asked for his "pa-fier", I told him it had to go bye-bye to see his mommy (that's where we tell him anything is that he wants to have that we don't want him to have), he just shrugged his shoulders and laid down. I walked out of the room and that was the end of it. Forever. He whined for a minute or 2 and I was holding my breath the whole time wondering if I would be strong enough not to give in if he started to cry, but thankfully I didn't need to find out. He's never asked for it since and besides that first nap without it, hasn't cried or whined either.

The only downside I've seen from this is it does take him longer to fall asleep (almost 30 min. sometimes) but hopefully as time goes by and he gets used to falling asleep without it, it won't take as long. He also wakes up 1 or 2 times during the night, but we just ignore him and he falls back asleep within a couple minuets. So overall, I'm ecstatic about how it all turned out because I know it could have been so much worse! And we had a whole list of "creative" ways to get rid of it if the cold turkey thing didn't work but I'm glad we didn't have to use them. However I do have an eensy weensy confession; I still have his pacifier hidden in a drawer. I just can't throw it away. I don't have it because I think he might really need it at some point, I'm keeping it because I just can't bring myself to throw it away. Why am I more attached to it than he is?! Ah, oh well, at least this transition is over!!! Next...potty training! (not any time soon though :))

5 comments:

The Johnson Family said...

i hope when Jakes time comes it goes that smoothly!!

Alisa and Sky said...

I am glad everything went so smoothly for you! I am afraid I am going to have a problem because Nate sucks his thumb and its not like I can just stop giving it to him because I dont ever give it to him! I cant chop of his thumb either...so hopefully one day he will just stop doing it! Hopefully sooner rather then later :)

I cant wait to see you this weekend!

Michelle C said...

I"m so glad it worked out! And that he's even able to fall asleep again in the night without it. We were lucky (well we didn't think so in the beginning), but Nathan never took to a pacifier!! I'm so excited for your little Kylie to arrive soon. Do you think you'll call her Ky? My friend calls her little girl that constantly!!

Jana said...

i cried when michaels chubby face became pacifierless. i still miss seeing the drool oozing out from behind the pa. i still have all of them in the silverware drawer, i just cant part with them. i even smell them once in awhile. gross huh, but they are part of my favorite memories of my boy.

so good for tyler and for you guys. it will be nice to have that already taken care of.

Ben and Nanci Hanks said...

He is just all grown up! Ben's already freaking out about the pacifier.

And I had no idea Icon was done!


Google