Win free stuff just by searching the web! SO EASY!

Search & Win

Monday, June 22, 2009

Playing in the rain

So lately I've been really trying to become better about just going with the flow of things and accepting that everything in my life does not have to be run on a schedule. There does not have to be a written script for everyday of my life and it's okay if everything doesn't go exactly as I planned for it to. Some days we have naps, some days we just play all day. Some days we do laundry and some days we let it pile up. Some days we make Tyler eat well balanced meals and some days he lives off McDonalds chicken nuggets and french fries. I've tried to be better about setting up my priorities in a way that what's best comes first (my family), what's better comes next (my calling) and what's good comes last (housework). So far it's working out okay and I seem to be able to balance things a lot better when I'm not trying to make everything a "best".

A couple days ago it was pouring rain outside (well almost everyday the past 2 weeks it's rained, but this one was a really good downpour!). We were coming home from running errands and it was already an hour later than Tyler usually goes down for a nap. We had been out all morning and I still had more errands to run once I put them down for naps before I had to be home that night to babysit for a friend, so I was eager to get him inside so I could be on my way to accomplish the next thing on my list. (BTW-To Do lists and I are becoming quite good friends) Bobby ran Kylee from the parking lot to the porch by our house and I was left to bring Tyler. I put him down on the sidewalk so that he could walk because I was carrying armfulls of groceries. The second I put him down he was off, running the opposite way we needed to go and jumping in any puddle of water he could find (in his flip-flops!). I was yelling at him to stop and please come with me but he would just laugh and run farther away, thinking it hilarious that his mother was getting drenched, waddling after him with jugs of milk and chicken breasts. I finally just set the groceries down and ran after him pretty angry grumbling, "Why now?! I have too much to do!". Then right when I was about to catch him he jumped into a huge puddle of muddy water, totally spalshing me, and started laughing so hard he fell down. I then had what you might call an 'Aha' moment because I realized what I was missing out on. I was focusing so much on this little event in my day that I was ignoring the big picture-and more importantly the importance of the big picture. Here was my little 2 year old boy, enjoying his life to the fullest. Begging me, without using words, to play with him. To enjoy the world from his perspective. To let go of the responsible adult in me and, for just a couple minuets, be a child again.

So I jumped in the puddle right next to him and sat down and laughed with him as the rain soaked us. Bobby came out and looked at us like we were crazy, but I just told him to go up and grab the camera. I wanted a picture that would remind me that sometimes it's more important to say "Why not?" than "Why now?"



And just a couple other pictures of Tyler's fun!






t



Kylee stayed nice and dry :)


He was SOAKED, and freezing!


But it was SO worth it!


Love this boy!


Thanks for teaching me a great lesson Tyler. I love you!

12 comments:

Maranda said...

I LOVE it! You're BEST mom, and you have cutest kids! I want to be just like you when I become a mom.

cnelson said...

Yeah for Tyler!! A good splash in the rain is always priority!! Yeah for Angela for noticing!!! love ya hon!!

Alisa and Sky said...

Fun fun! Playing in the rain is definitely a must every once in awhile!

You look super skinny by the way!! I know you have lost more weight since you were down here last which isnt fair because now you are skinner then me!! I am starting P90X tomorrow!! You think I am joking dont you...Im not :) Infact my friend is coming over tomorrow and doing it with me...yay!

Joy said...

So cute! Good job-- way to step back and notice. I know i need to do that WAY more often. Seems as though the Lord is blessing you for working so hard to fulfill your (big) calling!

Anonymous said...

your aha moment is great. wonder if you'd consider coming to our site ahamoment.com and telling the story? the site was created by mutual of omaha and is filled with people telling big and small aha moments that inspire or help in some way.

hope to see you there.

Cam
cam@ahamoment.com

Mary Beth said...

thanks for sharing - that's a great mindset to have and I should do the same thing.

*I want to look hot while playing in the rain!!!*

Matt and Haley said...

So fun, and you look GREAT!

eden and david said...

those are some of the best moments that we remember. im so happy that you had tons of fun. you guys are awesome.

Callie said...

We miss you guys and hope you even remember who we are. The other day I was outside playing with the boys and the sprinklers came on. Of course they dropped their chalk and went straight for the sprinklers. After asking them to come back onto the sidewalk, three times, I decided to join in. It can be so fun to just let go some days. I bet most of the time we give the neighbors something to talk about. But, we sure have fun and add excitement for everyone's enjoyment.

Rebekah said...

This is so fun, I love that you guys played in the rain! I hope I can be half the mom you are!

Michelle C said...

What a wonderful thought. You are always so good at realizing what is important in life. You babysat for a friend? you are so ambitious!! You look beautiful and are so skinny! You're just amazing. I really look up to you!

The Gould Family said...

this post made me cry! what a great reminder of whats important. thank you.


Google