Win free stuff just by searching the web! SO EASY!

Search & Win

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

ER story

A couple of you were asking about my "ER story" from last Christmas so I thought I'd share. It's actually not that big of deal, more embarrasing than anything else.

As a lot of you know, I had a really hard pregnancy from week 1 to week 40. At Christmas I was 7 1/2 mo. pregnant and had finally got past the "morning"-all day/night/and everything in-between-sickness (as of about 6 mo.) and past the majority of my heart problems, and was finally settling into pregnancy. A couple of days before Christmas I ate some Chicken Salad we had purchased from Costco without realizing it was about 2 weeks old until after we came home from Christmas. Needless to say, Christmas eve I was horribly sick and couldn't stop throwing up. The next morning it was worse and I could tell my heart was racing really bad (due to previous mentioned heart problems) and had no idea it was just food poisoning because I didn't know the salad was bad at this point. So Bobby (who LOVES the doctor and goes for anything v. me who NEVER goes to the doctor, ever, no matter what) really wanted to take me in because he was worried (what a sweetie) and just wanted to make sure everything was fine with the baby.

As soon as we got there they rushed me into a room (apparently I didn't look too hot) and a doctor came in, checked my heart rate, and rushed out of the room. Not more than a min. later there were 8 doctors in this little closet of a room rushing around, hooking me up to machines, poking me with needles and asking me tons of questions. Then I see Bobby look at the computer screen and his face went white. That totally made me panic and I started crying hysterically because I had NO idea what was going on. Nobody would tell me anything! The doctor tells Bobby to calm me down, so he grabs my face between his two hands and looks right into my eyes and starts telling me how important it is that I stop crying and he was telling me he loved me and that everything was going to be okay but I HAD to start taking slow, deep breaths. I guess that did the trick because when I started breathing normally again everybody in the room calmed down and the doctor finally explained to me what was going on. I guess my heart rate was jumping between 160-170 bpm (beats per minute) the whole time I was in there; which for those of you who don't know a lot about that, my normal resting heart rate during my pregnancy (which is what it should of been because I hadn't done anything physically active that morning) was usually around 80 bpm. So it was double what it should have been and apparently that's not good. After all that, he hooked me up to an IV because I was seriously dehydrated (they put 2 liters of water into me and I still didn't have to pee!) They wouldn't release me to labor and delivery until I peed...ugh! So they gave me a bunch of water to drink and I finally did the deed and they said I could go.

Problem #2...labor and delivery (which they had to send me to because after all this they wanted to monitor the baby to make sure he was okay) is at another hospital. We were in St. George and had no idea that the ER and labor and delivery weren't in the same building. So they send for some medics to come get me and transport me in an ambulence. I was SOOO embarrased because by this point I felt totally fine and didn't want them to make 2 people come in and work on Christmas when it wasn't absolutely necessary. But for legal reasons they had to, so I sucked it up and in walk these 2 young (and very attractive might I add-don't worry this part really makes Bobby laugh!) guys who have to lift me onto the stretcher and wheel me out to the ambulance. First of all I'm wearing one of those hideous hospital gowns with the wide open back for all to see my goody-goods and second of all it's winter and I'm 7 mo. pregnant which means I havn't shaved my legs in...weeks. And they noticed!!! Gross! I was at labor and delivery for about 3 hours because I was having some contractions and they wanted to monitor them, but after a couple hours the contractions stopped and they let me go home. It was a Merry Merry Christmas! :)

Anyway, in the end everything was fine with baby Tyler and everything was fine with me so no big deal, but I will never eat chicken salad from Costco again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!! What a scary story!! My heart was racing just reading it!! I'm glad everything was ok though.
Oh, also, I was telling Jaime that Ryan has class on Tuesday nights, so we should make that our girls night... if you guys are up for it. :)

Rebekah said...

You poor thing! See this is why I need to call and talk to you instead of Bobby... he never tells me things like this! (When ever he ever actually answers his phone!)


Google