Win free stuff just by searching the web! SO EASY!

Search & Win

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Best by...

So I found out today why there are definately dates on food such as, "Best By: Jan 17 2008". I was digging through the cupboards today trying to decide what sounded good for lunch. I found a box of macaroni and cheese that for whatever reason sounded good. I think I eat mac-n-cheese once a year, so I knew I hadn't bought that box recently, but mac-n-cheese is good forever, right?! Not exactly.

As I was stirring the noodles in the pot of water I was glancing over the box and happened to notice the "Best By" date on the top. April 2005. So what, like 3 years old?!?! Well, not wanting to throw food away I decide it's not something I need to be too concerned with since it's just noodles and powdered cheese (what could possibly have already gone bad?) and proceed to not only finish making the food, but serving myself up a big bowl. BAD IDEA! It was the grossest thing ever!

Here's the other funny thing about that. If that box was almost 3 years old, that means we bought it pretty soon after we got married, which means that we have packed it up and moved it with us to 3 different apartments. How did we not notice after the 1st move that this box was old and throw it away?! Now you see why I am such a pack-rat...I can't even throw away an OLD box of mac-n-cheese (which is what, like .99 cents to buy a new box?!) until I make it and decide it tastes bad enough to throw away!

Needless to say, I settled for a good old fashioned PB&J. It was delicious!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha, I do that all the time - I'm glad I'm not the only one - it is hilarious to me to find stuff that I got before we got married and still haven't used

Rebekah said...

Mac and Cheese goes bad?? I would never have guessed! I have boxed stuff like that in our cupboard that has been there for who knows how long, especially when I buy stuff at Costco. I might have to go take a look at the dates.

Anonymous said...

I've done that too! It always makes me feel so gross!

dixonfamily said...

That is so surprising! I would have thought that mac'n'cheese would last forever. Thanks for experiencing that for the rest of us.

Maranda said...

I had mac & cheese yesterday too... but mine was delicious! But now I am remembering a box of blueberry pancake mix that I got as my bridal shower that we have packed around to 5 different appts. I better go check to see if there is a date on that!


Google