Win free stuff just by searching the web! SO EASY!

Search & Win

Monday, November 12, 2007

A child's prayer

Just thought I would explain the reason I have the song 'A Child's Prayer' playing on my blog.

One of the speakers in our ward a couple Sunday's ago was a mother of twin 8 mo. old boys. She mentioned that as part of their childrens' bedtime routine they read scriptures, sing a hymn and say a prayer together. I am amazed by this because having an 8 mo. old boy myself, I find that trying to do something as simple as putting his pajamas on before bed is enough of an ordeal that we barely even accomplish that before I frustratedly put him into his crib with a hurried kiss goodnight. With 2, I can't even imagine! However, the point of her talk was that they started with just a simple prayer and added things into their rountine slowly. She challenged us to begin making changes in our daily routines that would bring more peace into our home, while reminding us that it's not important how big our change is, only that we make one and start somewhere.

I always planned on saying nighttime prayers with Tyler, but thought it would be better to begin that when he was a little older and would understand what we were doing. However, I decided that now is as good as time as any to start this habit with him, so that by the time he does understand what praying is, it will already be a habit. And I have to say, as silly as it may sound, since we have made this simple, small change in our routine, bedtime does seem to go more smoothly and I look forward to that time I get to kneel down with my husband and son. I can't wait for the day that Tyler will be able to offer a sweet child's prayer on his own. There is just something so sweet and innocent about the faith of a child.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww how wonderful!!! I LOVE saying prayers with Jackson - he knows how to fold his arms and today he actually bowed his head (his eyes weren't closed either - obviously neither were mine if I knew this)

Just Jaime! said...

That's great that you've been able to do that. I love to be inspired by talks (because that's all I get with my calling!)

Don't forget, tomorrow at my house!

beckie said...

I would be honored to take your family picture. That would be fun. Not this weekend though we're spending it in slc

Mikelene said...

I'm a friend of Mary Beth's. We moved to SC from Orem 3 yrs ago. It looks like you guys live in Chamberey, where we used live. Are you in the Lakeview 1st Ward? Crazy, I know. Cute baby, btw. :)Mikelene


Google