Win free stuff just by searching the web! SO EASY!

Search & Win

Monday, October 13, 2008

Glucose test round 2

Some people may be able to pee on demand. I am not one of those people. Call it stage fright, a lack of bladder control (okay we already know I have that), or just plain weird but unless my bladder is full I can't just "GO" to the bathroom. So what does that mean? I need fair warning. I need to be told beforehand that I'm going to have to "leave a sample" so that I can adequately prepare for such a task...i.e., drink a LOT of water.

I was supposed to go back on Friday to have my blood drawn after drinking my second bottle of orange sugar, but Bobby needed the car during the day so I couldn't make it back in until today. I decided that this time I would do it the way I did it for my last pregnancy (and as some of you suggested)and do the whole fast for 12 hours thing before I drank it and went in to get my blood drawn. So I made sure not to eat anything late last night (which was really sad because I was SO craving some vanilla ice-cream and Bobby sat and ate a bowl right in front of me on purpose. He thinks he's really funny.) and I drank my sugar first thing this morning so I could just go in an hour and get the dang test over with. Not eating for awhile before you do the whole glucose test must be the trick because even though I did feel a little queasy (and shaky-is that normal?) I didn't feel like I was going to throw up. I got Tyler all ready to go (I was going to wait till tomorrow when Bobby would be home so I wouldn't have to take Tyler but I really just wanted to be done with it. And I was only going to be there for like 10 min. so it wouldn't be a big deal right? Hmmm...). So I arrived 5 min. before they were supposed to draw my blood and the nurse took me back right away. She gave Tyler a sucker because he was kind of freaking out when he saw they were about to poke me with the needle (he is such a little protector over me it is SO cute), and then she drew my blood no problem. I put my sweatshirt back on, picked up Tyler and was about to walk out the door when she said, "If you haven't left a urine sample yet make sure to leave us one on your way out." What?! I told her that I didn't think I was going to be able to do that since I hadn't eaten or drank anything in over 13 hours and I had gone to the bathroom at home before I left because I didn't think they were going to need a sample. She said, "Oh well, ya we do. We have to send one in with your blood work so go ahead and try." I wanted to shake her. Go ahead and try?! What the heck does that mean? Oh, I get it. She's one of those people that can pee on demand.

So of course I go in and "try" but I'm dry as a bone. I come back out and tell her and she tells me she'll give me a bottle of water and that I just need to go sit back out in the lobby and wait until I have to go. UGH! So 40 oz. of water and 60 min. later my bladder finally decides to cooperate. I was so annoyed though! Tyler was really good and just played in their playroom the whole time so I was thankful for that, but I felt so stupid just sitting there in the lobby "waiting to pee" because all the receptionist and the nurses knew why I was sitting there and would look over at me every once in awhile like, "geez what's that girls problem? She can't just "go" to the bathroom?!" Oh well, I guess we all have our talents.

So anyways, I guess I'll be getting the results back later this week and I swear if I have to do this again I might go a little psycho on someone. Poor Bobby...it will probably be him.

8 comments:

The Johnson Family said...

What a day! I HATE waiting in the doc's lobby! I'm sorry, I'm sure everything will be fine and you won't have to do THAT again.

Brian and Cami said...

Angela, I am like you. When I need to go, I have to go right then. Unfortunately, I have the world's smallest bladder. Sometimes I will go to the bathroom at school, and walk all the way back to my portable at the back corner of the school, and as soon as I sit back down I have to go again! It is so annoying. I just got back from the dr's office, and I knew I'd have to leave a urine sample, so I drank so much beforehand that I was dying for her to get the cup ready for me, then I had to go again while waiting for the dr, and then I was racing home to go again! It is so annoying. As soon as I stand up from the computer I'll probably have to go again. I feel your pain!

Alisa and Sky said...

I am so like you! I can not pee on demand and I know just how you feel! I made sure I drank a lot of water everytime before I went otherwise the pee sample was not going to happen! There was like twice when I couldnt go and the nurses just let me go on with the appointment, but I was still so embarrassed!

Just Jaime said...

I love your stories. Sadly, I can pee on demand...

Rebekah said...

After eating that ice cream in front of you he might deserve for you to go a little crazy on him!

Matt and Haley said...

Apparently you're not alone because I can't pee on demand either! I've had some really embarrassing experiences in the past because of it (like your waiting in the lobby for an hour story).

Joy said...

I think after all you've been through, you just might be qualified to write a book entitled, "Adventures in Pregnancy." By the way, I HATE that glucose test drink. It makes me want to vomit when I even think about it!

Goratrain and Ian-ator said...

I wasn't able to take the orange drink home with me this time for some unknown reason. So they made me sit in the lobby as well for the entire hour while waiting for the drink to take affect. It was the longest hour of my life! I hate urine samples because no matter how full my bladder is, I can only fill the bottom of the cup. Nervous pee-ers UNITE!!!

PS--Bobby and Ian are too much alike with the vanilla ice cream


Google