Win free stuff just by searching the web! SO EASY!

Search & Win

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Missouri trip 2010

We flew out of Salt Lake City Aug. 18th to the beautiful state of Missouri, and came back home just a week later on the 24th. It was both of the kids first time flying and I was so nervous to fly with kids, but they did AWESOME! And Bobby was of course there to help so I wasn't as worried. I don't think I'd ever even attempt to fly without him! A couple nights before we left we went to Micheal's and raided their dollar bins for fun toys and treats to bring in little back packs for them. They were a total hit and we didn't even have to break out the portable DVD player we had brought as their main source of entertainment for the flights.

Buckled in and ready to go!


Since Kylee's still under 2 she could fly for free siting on the lap of a paying adult so Bobby got stuck with her for all 4 flights (2 there, 2 back) . I was the most nervous about how she would do having to sit in one small space for so long, but she really did incredible. Each flight was less than 2 hours and her little backpack kept her occupied the whole time (as well as peering over the lap of the guy next to them to watch out the window. I'm sure he didn't mind the sticky sucker fingers or the loud squeals of laughter one bit. I mean seriously how could you ever feel anything but love for this cute little face.)


Tyler loved every single, little bitty thing about flying in an airplane. From the seats, to the seatbelts, to the fold down trays, to the overhead lights, to the flight attendant, to the take-off and landing he was in heaven! He sucked on a sucker during take-off to help with his ears popping which worked great and he loved as the plane got faster and faster and faster and then would "whoosh, fly straight up into the air!" As we were landing he's pointing to all of the things getting closer and closer to the ground and is so excitingly try to show me every single thing he lays eyes on and it's all I can do to keep myself upright and alive and breathing. Seriously. What grown adult gets sick on an airplane as it's landing? Me. That's it.

We did have a layover in Denver so they used the DVD player to watch Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs, but Kylee was NOT a fan of the headphones (even though we'd practiced at home several times!)




My sis-in-law Rebekah and my niece Emma picked us up from the airport (cause they got to come down from St. Louis and spend the week with us at Grandma's too!) and drove us to Grandma Luci's house. Grandma and papa James were so sweet and mega prepared for us with high-chairs, playpens, beds, baby pools, lots of food, a water/sand table, a large swing set, a big pretend kitchen, free babysitting:), a ginormous garden for Tyler to help pick vegetables (really, it's bigger than their house!), and an uninvited-yet very welcome by Kylee-stray cat. We had a blast!

They played outside with this water/sand table every day as much as they could.


Bobby's dad and step-mom, Mary, drove down an extra car they had lying around that we were able to borrow for the week we were here, so we grabbed a quick picture of us all together-me, bobby, kylee, Mark (bobby's brother), Rebekah, Emma, bobby's dad (Wendell), and Mary.


Kylee trying to coax the poor stray kitten out of the flower bed.


I wasn't too thrilled she was holding a stray cat, but nobody else thought it was a big deal so I tried my best not to think about all the diseases she could be picking up as she loved this little thing to pieces.


Seriously she loved it and when Bobby finally took it away she cried and cried and cried. :(


It was soooo hot and humid there. Living 18 years of my life in what has to be the most humid place on the planet (Houston, TX) I thought would have made this feel like home, but I was dying! Holy cow, it's amazing how being gone for several years has made the humidity almost unbearable! The kids however didn't seem to notice too much, (although once Tyler said with total naivety, "mom...I'm wet." "Yes dear" I said, "that would be sweat." "Sweat? What's sweat?" was the reply! ha ha. And I have to say, I did love their super rosy red cheeks and the way their damp hair would curl at the ends after they'd been playing outside!



Kylee loved...
Taking piano lessons from Rebekah


Dancing with grandma Luci


And getting bedtime stories from Aunt Rebekah.


Tyler loved...
shucking beans from the garden with grandma and papa


Making delicious jello with grandma!


And sliding down the slide!


The 2 girls (me and Rebekah-the only 2 "girls" in the fam) with our 2 girls!


My studs!


Kylee always looks at Bobby when we're trying to take a family picture, but 3 outta 4 aint bad!


They couldn't get enough of playing the piano!


And what's a party without Emma?!


Seriously?! Look at this party face!


One day we were able to take a trip into Springfield and first we took the kids to see Bobby's best friend, Adams', parents (did ya follow?). Adam and his family live in UT but Bob and Vi were like 2nd parents to Bobby growing up so we were excited to visit! Of course I didn't get a picture of them with Bobby (hello!), but I did get one of the kids eating purple popsicles on their beautiful office chairs (yikes!) while watching a movie so we could talk. It really was so good to see them!


Next stop was the Bass Pro Shop.


I've never been to one; it was SO awesome! So much detail and fun animals to see.


The kids loved the ginormous aquarium




Kylee was showing her "scared" face because of the cliff we were sitting above with the BIG black bear right underneath. And I'm not sure what Tyler's doing.


And here's Emma-always smiling!








If I were rich and dumb I would have totally bought this for her cause I truly believe she needs it.


Back to grandma's for some afternoon swimming.


Hello. My name's adorable.


I love that Kylee got to spend so much time with her fun cousin Emma!






I love this pic of Rebekah and Emma. So sweet!


*Also, just to note since I didn't get any pictures of this, this night Rebekah, Nathan, Mark, Bobby and myself went to a quick, late dinner at Steak and shake(where they didn't even bring our food out in time so we took it to-go and ate it in the movie theater) and then went to see Inception. SO GOOD. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around it, but then again does that really surprise you?

One day we got to head down to the farm and spend time with Papa and Mary! Tyler's eyes were about as big as his head when papa asked him if he wanted to take a ride on the tractor. Um Yes!


Meeting the donkey, Jack.






The bull watching us through the trees. I was terrified it was going to come charging so I walked about 1/100000 of a mile an hour through the field.




Poor girl was drenched in sweat after being outside for maybe 20 min. She was not a happy camper.


A couple days later we were able to spend more time with papa and Mary when they took us to Incredible Pizza. (similar to a Chuck-E-Cheese, but there's a full course buffet)




Uncle Mark helping out Tyler




Nathan was able to spend a few days with us as well! (that's him driving :))






Papa James sure did love little miss kylee! He was her constant companion and took good care of her so I could sit inside the nicely cooled house and watch from the window.


Gettin' all cleaned up for church.


Sunday afternoon Bobby's brother Scott and his daughters, and granddaughters all came over for a delicious sunday dinner. Tyler warmed up to all the wrestling and "brotherly love" pretty quickly!


Tyler and my great niece, Tessa, taking a break to watch Cinderella.


A cake to celebrate everybody's birthdays throughout the year since we don't get to be together. :( But the cake was delicious!


Spending the afternoon outside together as a family!




Whoa Nathan...


Scott's girls Lacy and Shanda-so beautiful!


That's Rebekah and Nathan's dog Che in the bottom left corner who spent most of the week with us, whom Kylee would have hidden in her luggage and taken home with us if she coulda picked him up.




Now here we have to take a moment and talk about Cashew chicken. I have to choose my words very carefully as to not take away from this delectable goodness people sometimes refer to as 'food'. Because it is so much more. More than your americanized chinese food brain can imagine unless you have had the pleasure of being in the wonderful city of Springfield, MO and have found yourself in the company of cashew chicken. It is the only city in the US that makes cashew chicken this way; breaded and fried to a golden, crunchy perfection, then drenched in the most perfect amount of oyster sauce your taste buds can imagine, only then to be sprinkled ever so slightly with crisp, salty cashews, while a slew of green onions graces its ever so divine presence. Your taste buds will literally dance with joy as you indulge. Is your mouth salivating yet? If not you need to go get your glands checked. Period. I mean how much more American can we make chinese food?


Moving on.

The night before we left we headed out one more time to the farm. Tyler did some star gazing.


That was of course before Scott decided to scare all the goodness out of him (and me since I was riding shotgun and Tyler was on his lap!) with a ride in his yellow Malibu with a V8 stroker, blue printed and balanced (can you tell my husbands telling me what to type) with nitrous and 2 four barrel carburetor. Whatever all that means...to me, it was fast and dangerous. I thought for sure Scott would just take him on a nice little ride through the country (since they are out in the middle of nowhere!) and Tyler was on his lap with NO seatbelt, but I was sadly mistaken. Scott was giddy with excitement at the trick he played on me. And to be fair, Tyler actually did think it was the coolest thing ever. It was mama that about flew out of my seat and grabbed the wheel!


Bobby took it for a spin as well and thought it was about the coolest thing ever.


Kylee finally warmed up to the bearded guy by the end of our trip. Uncle Mark spent every day that we were there with us and I think he's just about one of the nicest, most generous, truly kind-hearted people I've ever met. Even as we sit here Kylee is on my lap trying to give Mark's picture a kiss! :)

Mark is the only person from the trip Kylee still asks for. Randomly she'll say, "Ere's Mark?" (where's mark) And we'll have to remind her he's in Missouri and she'll drop her head and say in the saddest little voice,"oh". Which is always followed by a, "Mark. Hug. Mark. Hug." Which means she wants a hug from him.

Before we knew it our week was up and it was time to head home. We said lots of goodbye's, gave lots of hugs and kisses, and were so sad to leave Bobby's amazing, sweet family behind.

The flight back was just as great as the way to MO and I didn't get sick once! Tyler watching a little movie on the flight home-until the battery died oops!


Kylee was loving her some apple juice!


We got into Salt Lake at about 4:30pm and stayed the night there because Kylee had an appointment at Primary Children's Hospital the next morning. (next post) So we didn't officially get home until the 25th, but we ended up having a great day in SLC so it was worth it!

It was such a blessing to be able to visit Missouri and see almost all of Bobby's family. They are all such great people and we have so many memories that will be priceless!

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Oh It looks like so much fun. I am so so glad you got to go and see everyone. Even though we miss ya lots!!

Alisa and Sky said...

Glad you guys had fun! You got some great pictures!!! Cant wait until you come visit us again :) Love you!

P.S. Give Tyler and Kylee big hugs and kisses for me!

The Johnson Family said...

I think Bobby's brother Mark stole all of Bobby's share of hair!! ha ha! J/k... Looks like you guys had so much fun. And thanks for making me want that Cashew Chicken so bad and now I can't have it. Don't you know pregnant women read your blog! GOSH!!


Google