Win free stuff just by searching the web! SO EASY!

Search & Win

Sunday, September 26, 2010

"Home" school

So besides the pre-school co-op thing Tyler's doing right now, I also do "school" with him every day for 30 min. I totally flaked out and bought this Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read set when it was on clearance. I knew I wanted to start getting more into depth with his learning, but had no idea where to start or what to do and this came highly recommended so I thought we'd give it a go. And I have to say, it has been perfect for us! The lessons are set for about a 15 min. time frame, but I add in my own things to supplement the lessons cause he has a pretty good ability to sit and listen so our lessons go anywhere from 20-30 min. Kylee takes about an hour and a half nap in the afternoon so we do it for the last half hour of her nap so that Tyler and I get some quality one on one time. Tyler LOVES doing it and when Bobby asked him if he liked his pre-school or mommy's "school" better he said, "Mommy's school!" without hesitation! Ha ha, I guess that's a good sign right?!

Using Nilla wafers to make the letter "A" (this was our first day and nilla wafers are his favorite snack so I wanted to make sure he'd enjoy "school" and want to do it more)


Playing the "find the letter A game" after our lesson.


Making the letter "B" with brown bears! (chocolate teddy grahams)


Playdough to fill in letter "C". And how much are we loving the crayon behind his ear?! Totally his doing-he said he wanted to be like Handy Manny!


And so on and so on. We do a different letter everyday with a review of the letters every so often. Since he's known his letters for quite some time we're mainly focusing our lessons on phonemic awareness and writing. He writes A-H (and a few other random ones; L, T, O, P) because that's what we've done so far and his handwriting has become so much better just over the last couple weeks. I think this has helped his fine motor skills a lot as he's learning how to control making small, precise movements.

I guess since this is a "school" post I'll go ahead and throw in some pictures from his first field trip to the zoo! We've been here quite a few times but some how he seemed to love it so much more when he had a bunch of friends to run around with!

Kylee desperately wanted to climb in with the pheasants. They are pretty birds.


Most of the kids and their moms/siblings.


Always a big highlight of a trip to the zoo-feeding the ducks!






She was yelling at them, "Ducks!! come ere! Ducks, come ere!"


That's teacher Hannah (who just happens to be 3 weeks away from having a baby!)


Lots of learning going on in these parts of the woods! I hope Tyler always has a love of learning and an eagerness to discover like he does now. I sure do love him.

8 comments:

Rebekah said...

Cute pictures, I love the crayon behind Tyler's ear!!

Alisa and Sky said...

Cute! As much as we both complained about doing school work in the summer with mom we have both started doing it with our kids ha ha! I was doing really good with nate for awhile but once I started watching makaila its been hard to keep it going cuz they both go down for a nap at the same time so I dont get as much one on one time with him. Nate knows all his letters and the sounds they make and so now you just inspired me to get back on track continue teaching him out to write them. Nate loved it while we were doing it and at the time I didnt have a camera. I wish I would have taken pics of it cuz he was so cute doing all the little worksheets. Thats a good idea to have them make the letter out of snacks! He would LOVE that! I will have to try that! Where did you get that program on the computer? He would love that too! He loves finding letters and he loves the computer so that would be perfect. He is always pointing out the letters on the keyboard and everytime we are walking through a parking lot he has to stop at each car and read the letters off the license plates ha ha!

Ash said...

Great ideas! Do you mind if I steal/use them? ;)

Matt and Haley said...

Seeing what Tyler can do makes me feel like I'm sooo behind with Caleb. Caleb's birthday is 8 days away from the cut-off so he is going to be in Tyler's grade. I've debated pushing him off so he'll be the oldest in his grade instead of the youngest, but I don't think I will. I'll just have to continue to work hard with him! He's got a lot of catching up to do!

Mindy said...

OH you are too cute, and so is ty. I am glad that it is going so well.

Ben and Nanci Hanks said...

Your kids are so darling. What a good mommy you are!

Michelle C said...

I am so behind on your blog! I miss reading your posts, but time is so limited now with being in nursing school again! You are such a good mommy and wow - to take turns doing preschool with other kids - what a task!! That's neat it's working out for you. I do "learning time' with Nathan too and he just loves it. I want to do more things, and have compiled lists of themes and stuff. That would be fun to have a program like you purchased. I looked and it is and it's pretty pricey though! Those activities with the letters look so fun!! The kids are adorable!

Henry said...

Loved reading this thannk you


Google