Win free stuff just by searching the web! SO EASY!

Search & Win

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Drive-In Movie Cars

So if you frequent my craft blog I'm sure you've already seen this project, but I wanted to share it here too because it was something fun I did for the kids and we've already made some fun summer memories with them! I wrote this post up as a tutorial (that's why there's a step-by-step below) because I was guest posting on another craft blog and I'm just copying that post and putting it straight here for ease :). So if you're interested in making one too read on!

Drive-in Movie Cars!


The great thing about this project is that it can be as simple or as fancy-shmancy as you want it to be! All you need to start is a cardboard box!


We (mr. sweet love and I) decided we wanted the car to have a little "hood" of sorts as you can see above, so we cut a separate, small strip of cardboard, folded down the edges of the board to make a table-top shape, and hot glued those edges to the inside of the box.


And since these fun little cars will be hounded played with by toddlers we thought it might be good to give it a little extra piece of support by hot gluing another piece of cardboard under the "hood" and to the front of the box like so:


Had our box been a typical brown box I wouldn't have painted it, but the only box we had was white and yellow with writing all over it, so I decided to give it a quick coat of Rustoleum's semi-gloss white spray paint. A perfect canvas!


Next I added wheels using paper plates lightly spray painted black.


And Mr. Sweet Love added a tail pipe using a roll of toilet paper spray painted silver and then cut in half.


And what drive-in movie would be fun without snacks?! With kids that's a definite MUST, so I added a snack box to the side of the car using the bottom porion of a baby wipes container (I spray painted mine red but you could totally leave it white!) and attached it using office clips.


The only thing left is to go to town decorating the front in whatever car style you can come up with! I used a black marker to draw on the designs and can lids for the headlights.


And just to personalize them for the kids (my kids love to see their name everywhere! ha ha!) I added some quick license plates to the back with their name and age using cardboard wrapped in foil and then hot glued to the box!


Toss in a fluffy pillow and a comfy blanket, and you're ready to throw a movie up on the projector outside (or inside!!) and have a fun family movie night!






Now go have yourself a WHEELY good time in your DIY drive-in car!


"Real" updates coming soon-promise! :)

3 comments:

cnelson said...

love, love, LOVE these!

KCraig said...

This is so so so cute. Love it!

Alisa and Sky said...

You know I think these are super fun!!


Google