Win free stuff just by searching the web! SO EASY!

Search & Win

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Help!

I'm just gonna go ahead and throw this out there. I'm an athlete. Ya, it's true, I mean I know what BP, MHR, HR, THR, TZ, and TV all stand for. I can run on the treadmill AND drink water at the same time, I use 5lb weights-sometimes 8 if I eat Wheaties for breakfast, and I can almost touch my toes. Don't be intimidated, I mean after-all I was a Cheerleader. And if that's not an athlete I don't know what is.

That being said, I'm kinda afraid I'm going to blow up. Like have a heart attack. I'm not sure I'm going about my workouts exactly the way I should be and knowing that quite a few of you that read this blog are athletes as well, I thought I'd ask yall what the heck is going on with my body!

We got a treadmill in the beginning of Jan cause Bobby's BP is through the roof. Like seriously high-Hypertension stage 2 high-and since I want to keep him around a few more years I ok'd the expense. We have LOVED having it. I have a passionately intense hatred for running. My knees hurt, my back hurts, I can't breathe and the only thing I think about is how much I hate it while I'm doing it. So when we first brought our baby home I was skeptical of her but I have to say I double L O V E running on it. We have it out in the garage and I can pump the music loud and run run away. I think, I plan, I get me time, and I think I'm getting some exercise somewhere in there too, but here's my question...can my heart rate get too high?

Back in Jan. I was running 5 days a week for 30 min. a day. I kept that up for 6 weeks and then everyone in the house got sick so at the end of Feb it was good if I got on 2 times a week. Now that we're all better I'm back into the roll of things, but I'm just running 3-4 times a week for 20 min. and then doing weights for 20min. I feel that I'm a little better balanced this way so I'll probably stick to this for now rather than the 5 days/week since I'm just doing it for *fun* and not training for anything. Okay so here's the deal. My HR stays between 175 and 185 for the entire 20 min. of my intense running (it takes about 5 min. to get it there) and then it takes forever to go back to normal. Bobby says it's b/c I'm still out of shape and that the more I run/exercise the more effectively it will beat and will go back to normal faster. Not that I don't trust the doctor's opinion I just thought I'd ask my fellow athletes what they thought. Is that too high for my HR to be or is that normal for what I want to do-burn fat/increase endurance? Is it bad that it takes so long for my HR to go down? I don't hurt or feel exhausted after I run, just good and worked out, but maybe I should take it down a notch I don't know. I'm not ever sore the next day so I've actually been thinking about increasing the speed and length of my runs but maybe that's a bad idea. Help! Any thoughts, tips or ideas would be appreciated. You know...from one athlete to another.

Although I might be clueless on the running front, here are 3 things I've learned all on my own the past couple months...Keesha is my inner sass/bad girl. I may or may not have Bieber fever and Pandora is my best friend.

5 comments:

curtis and jacque dana said...

i LOVE reading your blog! I really should comment more(: You must have a really high target heart rate, your's is many people's max heart rate and they can only stay there for a couple minutes. To find your numbers out you use a formula but i won't bore you with that! As long as you feel comfortable, then you're ok(: it could take awhile to go back down because the altitude, dehydration or if your garage is super humid. Hope that helps, good for you for running! I absolutely HATE it):

Bobby said...

You might want to get that Bieber Fever checked out.

Unknown said...

Hey dearest,
I just thought I'd comment since I have a good "in" with a great source. Brad's a certified personal trainer and here's what he had to say:
You are just dandy. Bobby's advice was actually pretty accurate, it should get better the more in shape you get. He said that 185 is pretty high, but if you aren't experiencing any negative side affects you are ok. Also, his suggestion is to increase length before you increase speed, just so you build up the necessary endurance to advance to the next level of difficulty...or whatever you want to call it haha.
Hopefully that was somewhat helpful! And keep up the good work! I'm super jealous and you are a babe :)

cnelson said...

Not being an athlete AT ALL...I have no comment on that part of the post...however, if you are catching a case of Bieber fever I'm guessing you are catching it from Miss Alena as she has a real bad case of it.

Michelle C said...

LOVE THAT LITTLE ATTITUDE OF KY ON THE TOP PHOTO!!!!!!!!

I think you're fine. It'll adjust over time, but you might want to tone it down a bit until your body adjusts. On this site it talks about target heart rates zones, which you're just slightly above what your should be. It said to build up to that though.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4736


Google