Win free stuff just by searching the web! SO EASY!

Search & Win

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Surprise date night!

Warning: long post. If you want, skip the first 2 paragraphs, they're just explaining the background as to why this night happened.

About a week ago I was being a little bit pouty over the fact that I do not have a romantic husband. Maybe some of you have felt like this before so you'll know what I'm talking about, the rest of you...just appreciate the fact that you married the 1 romantic guy on the planet! Bobby's amazing at lots of things and shows me he loves me by, among other things, doing things around the house, (fixing the car, taking out the trash, cooking dinners, putting up shelves, etc.) going to work so that I can stay at home with Tyler, taking care of Tyler at night so I can go out with the girls, and setting aside time every night to spend with just me. (Can you tell we've had the "languages of love" talk many times?! Ha Ha!) But this particular night I was just having one of my "moments" and was wishing that just once he would do something crazy sweet like write me a sweet note, bring home some flowers, surprise me with something, or even do something as simple as tell me I'm beautiful (this only happens when I ask him to tell me!). Now granted, he will do something like get me flowers or leave a cute note in the car for me, but it happens-on average-once a year. I'm wishing for something more like once a month-yea, whatever, I'm greedy!

So anyways, I'm trying not to get grumpy about this characteristic of his because it's who he is, and I will not be able to (and should not try) to change him, I instead try to think of all the ways he showed me that day through "non-verbal" cues (since that's his "language of love") that he loves me, but am still not pacified. I need some good old fashioned romance! I decided that these feelings were all stemming from the fact that we haven't had any alone time since my birthday in July (like quality, romantic time) and we just needed something to help us re-connect. I knew that Bobby wouldn't in a million years be thinking any of these things and that if I felt something needed to change it would be up to me to make that happen. And as much as I hate that I have to be the one to always bring stuff like this up, I realize that if I want to be happy in the marriage (and one of those things that keeps me happy is romance) I can't just sit around and stew about how unfortunate it is that my husband isn't romantic, I have to be the one to do something about it. It kind of stinks, but that's just the way it is. (And maybe, just maybe, the more often I do these things for him, the more often he'll do them for me...I can hope right?!) Once I made up my mind about this, I started planning.

I wanted to do something that would 1)be a total surprise and catch him off guard. 2)give us quality alone time and 3)be memorable. I knew that we wouldn't be able to get a babysitter so it would have to be something we could do at home after Tyler went to bed. That puts a lot of limits on any kind of "date", but it was SO fun to try and think of creative ways to pull this off. Anyways, this is what I came up with for last Fri. night:

Tyler goes to bed at 8:00. After we say our family prayers, I leave the room and Bobby rocks Tyler and sings to him for about 2-3 min. During that time I ran out to our car with a pair of "date" clothes, which I had meticulously ironed earlier that day (I knew he would be wearing B-ball shorts and a tee shirt b/c that's always what he changes into when he comes home from work), some cologne, shoes, his wallet, phone and this note:

(click on it if you can't read it)


After he's done singing to Tyler he comes in our bedroom where we read scriptures. I ran in the front door(from putting everything in the car) right as he was walking out of Tyler's room and told him I had left my cell phone in the car and had to go get it. (Yes, that was part of my genius plan and I actually did leave my phone in the car so I would have this excuse just in case I wasn't back by the time he was done with Tyler) And then I said, "oh shoot, I forgot I left the camera in the car too and it's just sitting on the front seat. Could you run out there and grab it before we read so that we don't forget to get it?" (this was the only thing I could think of to get him to go out to the car-I knew he wouldn't be okay with leaving the camera in the car overnight b/c he's real particular about stuff like that) I was just praying that he wouldn't say that we should just read first and then do it because the To Go order had to be picked up by 8:30! Thankfully he said, "ya sure" and walked out the door. I locked it behind him and got busy. (side note-I should've been an actress, I can't believe I totally pulled that off without giving anything away. I was so excited that I just wanted to bust up laughing, but instead pulled off the perfect whiny voice so he didn't suspect a thing!)

While he was changing (there's a laundry room bathroom right by where we parked the car-also part of my genius plan) and getting our food I got the house ready. I changed into my "date" clothes, put on a little perfume (I don't think I've even worn perfume since I've had Tyler), set the table with candles and Hershey kisses, put our Sparkling Cider in a make-shift ice-bucket(yes I had to hide the cider and the ice since we don't ever buy either of those things), got out our "fancy" glasses, and set up the ipod (with a specially prepared playlist for the evening). Everything was perfect I was SO excited. He came home exactly when I finished lighting the last candle, I tell you, it was like a scene from a movie. It was perfect! It was so cute how giddy he was that I planned this whole thing. It totally made everything worth it! Here are a few pictures from the night:

Picture with flash on (no, our kitchen table does NOT always sit in the middle of the kitchen like that, it's usually pushed off to the side)


flash off so you can see what it actually looked like with just the candle light


YUMMY food!






Not very flattering shot, but the only one we got with the self-timer before the camera died.


At the end of our meal, I gave him a little surprise gift:


The night was perfectly fabulous and went exactly as I'd hoped it would. Even though I'm the one that had to plan it, I have to be honest... it was almost as fun planning this surprise as it would have been to receive it! I love my Bobby, even if we don't always speak the same "language"!

13 comments:

Maranda said...

Oh my gosh, you are the cutest wife ever!! I'm so glad you told us about this. I feel this same way sometimes too, so now I know what to do! You're so great!! I know Bobby and Tyler know that too.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to say exactly what Maranda did. That was SO adorable Angela. Don't be mad at all of us girls if we all use this same thing next friday. :o)

Heather Taylor Photography said...

Hey Angela!! Glad you're doing well and settled in Logan! :)
I loved your post.... I could have written your first couple of paragraphs word for word (except my dh says I can't pay him enough to read that book- lol) and I really love your date night idea. You are so creative and such a cute wife! However, it's kinda mean that you posted pictures of the yummy food because now I want some too- haha! j/k.... glad you had such a good time! :)

Ben and Nanci Hanks said...

So cute! I hope you don't mind if I copy your idea since I'm too paranoid to leave Sadie with anyone and we never get to go on a date by ourselves. Or maybe I should just have Ben look up this post...

Joy said...

Awesome idea! I think you are right to just look at what your husband DOES do, versus the couple shortcomings he has; I know that's what makes a marriage great! Plus, the only men I know of that are hopelessly romantic are either gay or are actors in movies... Sorry if that seems offensive, but that's what I really think!

Goratrain and Ian-ator said...

Boy, thanks for showing us up, Angela. I hope Bobby realizes how special you are. I love that he was so excited about it! Thanks for giving all of us girls a huge motivational boost. Man, we need to live closer!

Rebekah said...

You are so creative! I know how you felt, I get all down because Nathan isn't romantic like he was when we were dating... I guess I should start taking some initiative.

Megan said...

I love it! I think that was so creative and so smart to take the initiative! Sometimes boys just need a little push!

Michelle C said...

How sweet of you! I loved your poem. Everything was decorated so lovely! You look great.

Matt and Haley said...

Ok, so that was seriously adorable. Matt is the same way as Bobby in the romance department almost word for word in your first two paragraphs. But I want spontaneity! He used to be so romantic when we were dating, and I will sometimes mention how much I miss that (but he had to work so hard to win me over!). Now it just seems that he does something special for our anniversary. I think that's awesome that you swallowed your pride and took the initiative. It was a good lesson for me. And I think you're going to improve a lot of people's romance in their marriage due to posting this. Thanks for sharing!

Alisa and Sky said...

Oh angela you are the perfect wife :) skyler is the same way as all the others commenters husband and bobby! Skyler is so busy with football right now that it is hard for us to do anything date wise. We have not done something as just the two of us in a long time. I guess i should have mom babysit and steal your date idea!

Anonymous said...

You are awesome! I just love you - if I hadn't mentioned that! I miss you too! WHat a great idea, I so see you pulling it all off and having a blast doing it!

Mel said...

I just love reading your blog! You're so talented at writing! You make me laugh all the time! miss you!


Google