Win free stuff just by searching the web! SO EASY!

Search & Win

Thursday, July 8, 2010

The nursery story

It absolutely could not have gone any worse! Which I was not prepared for as Tyler did great his first day, and still loves it till this day! As my mom pointed out to me the next day (and I don't know why I didn't think about this and prepare myself better) Kylee has ALWAYS been very attached to me. Since she was just weeks old I was the only person she would quiet down for and the only person that she would let hold. We really struggled with her separation anxiety issues for several months because she literally would not let me out of her sight. The past few months though it's been better (meaning she is okay with strangers playing with her, talking to her, etc-still won't let them hold her, but before she would cry if people she didn't know even began to approach her). I guess since it's been getting better I figured nursery would have gone over better. I was DEAD wrong! I think it would have helped if Tyler would have been there with her but our ward has 3 nursery classes and Tyler is in the oldest one since he is already 3. The second we walked in the door she gripped my arm like she knew something she wasn't comfortable with was about to happen. Her eyes were frantically scouting out the room and she started to breathe a little heavier. When I set her down and turned to go, her lip was doing the quiver thing and she was reaching her arms out to me to pick her up and her eyes looked so sad you'd of thought her puppy just died. But I was firm and didn't want to give into her because she needs to be okay with nursery, so I handed her over to the nursery leader and walked out the door. The second the door closes she starts SCREAMING, and trust me the girl knows how to scream! But I was holding my ground and didn't go back in to "save" her because, after working in nursery in the past, I hate those moms that won't let their kids cry it out for a bit cause usually after a few minuets of distraction they're just fine. They need to learn to deal with separation and gain the independence that comes from that. So thinking I'm such a great mom I just let her scream. I stayed in the hall to see how long she'd cry for and after about 5 min. had passed, of constant crying, there's a little lull and I think, "oh good, she's fine" when a nursery worker BOLTS out the door and comes running down the hall yelling to me, "Kylee just threw up ALL over!" GREAT! So I run back in and sure enough all over this woman (a less active woman who is just starting to come back to church I might add) is pink, chunky vomit. Down her dress, spilling down her legs and seeping into her shoes. Wonderful. I was mortified!!! And Kylee's eyes and face were so blotchy from crying so hard that she looked like she had a weird face disease. But the second I walk in the room she's all smiles. I feel so bad that I let her cry so hard she threw up. Of course she wouldn't let me leave her side-literally she sat on my lap the whole 2 hours-and if I even shifted my weight in the slightest she would squeeze my neck and start to whimper. Even for snack time she wouldn't sit on those itty, bitty, little chairs by herself. At the end the leaders were doing bubbles and she wanted to play SO bad but she wouldn't leave my side for a second. She was reaching for them on her tip-toes and saying, "Bubbles! Bubbles!" and I was trying to encourage her to go, but she wasn't havin it! There's no way I can do this again next week because I have to teach in RS and Bobby teaches in primary so who knows what we'll do. All I can say is bobby will definitely be the one taking her!

4 comments:

cnelson said...

Poor EVERYBODY!! Better luck this week!!!

Alisa and Sky said...

Ha ha! At least you have a good story to tell :) I am sure she will be fine in a couple weeks! Mom told me the story...hopefully you can just put her in with tyler next week and she will be ok...good luck!!

Mel said...

Bree did the same thing.... Puke and everything... So the nursery leaders just started bring her to me after like 10min. I HATED this..... She learned if I cry I get mommy. Joseph has a calling in another ward so I am all single mom at church so it's not like they could bring her to him!! I was so mortified!!!!! Who's kid is this?? Anyway, I think you're great for staying and it will hopefully get better. I'm sure you're doing this but we talked to Bree about nursery ALL week long.... Literally. And how there is "no crying in nursery" don't know if it worked but at least she was prepped

Mary Beth said...

that's so tough - but like you said, its not good to go in because they start crying (I hated those moms too) From experience, she will get better ( you know that too). Maybe nursery will help cure her seperation anxiety.


Google